15 November 2012

Ally's Cinema Review: Stake Land

I was really looking forward to seeing Stake Land. Fin is notorious for hearing about upcoming films and building expectations to unreachable heights. I usually try to steer clear of his hyping-up habits, because I can be guilty of doing the same thing. So I tried to avoid finding out too much about Stake Land to avoid the inevitable let down. Still, from what little I had heard I couldn’t help anticipating good things.




As always, I like to start with the positives... The film is absolutely gorgeous. The vast landscapes of a deserted America are as haunting as they are spectacular. As the group travel north the landscapes change with them, as do the seasons, and it works very well with the unfolding events. The music is very important to the overall mood of the film, due to the sparse use of dialogue, and it combines very well with the cinematography to give the movie a really beautiful feel.

What struck me most about the film was how (incredibly) similar it is to The Road (only with the addition of vampires). It’s the first thing Clarky said as we left the cinema, and he was bang on. I wasn’t much of a fan of the Road, but this film is much better (an excellent book that should never have been adapted... just my two cents). Perhaps you could argue that it borrowed a little too much from it (and many zombie apocalypse movies). I have to say that it doesn’t feel like a hugely original film, although that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

The characters are very interesting. Mister has jumped right into the mixer as my favourite vampire killer. He’s absolutely tremendous to watch. Blade would still have him in a fight, but he’s one tough son of a gun. He’s actually kind of like Whistler – only younger and without the gammy leg. The main character, the narrator, is well portrayed – the film is really about him becoming a man and I think this is well handled. We see him toughen up over time, but he retains part of his innocence and optimism. It is a very realistic character development, and credit must be given to the fine performance of the central actor. The relationship between the two main characters is understated, but very compelling too. Lots of little things are hinted at in the film, without them being rammed down your throat, and I appreciated the subtlety used by the director.




I was expecting big things from this film, and while there was much to admire I can’t help but feel a little disappointed. Perhaps I can blame Fin for building up this film? Even though I tried to ignore the hype, I definitely went in to this one expecting great things. For that reason I feel more critical of it than other (poorer) films. There is no doubt that it is a good, maybe even very good, film. But can it be considered a great film? I think it falls short of this mark. As I said previously, it lacks a little bit of originality that I think a great film needs, although that isn’t my main criticism…

The film has very little dialogue (most of the story is told through narration) and it doesn’t quite work for me. When the dialogue does come it is a little bit clunky and wooden: full of slightly well-used clichés. It’s a shame because the narration is actually very good in its own right, and the film is well acted. You don’t feel you are missing anything when the actors aren’t speaking – it’s just that when they do something about it feels a little out of sorts.

Aside from the two leads, the other characters come and go without really allowing the audience to build a relationship with them. For that reason, when events do unfold, I felt strangely unmoved by some of the goings-on. Perhaps it was due to the sparse dialogue/interaction on display. For me, this chosen style helped to create an atmospheric and beautiful movie, but the side effect was that I felt a little removed from the emotional side of the film. The glimpses at the characters are just too fleeting to really engage with them. In a film that seems to want to pitch itself as character-driven, this seems like a fundamental flaw.

I also think that the film could have been a lot scarier, quite a few opportunities for jumps are missed, which was a shame. The vampires are pretty scary – although apart from the fangs, and aversion to sunlight, they seem more like zombies (the running ones from 28 days later, not George Romero’s slow movers).

Don’t get me wrong though, this film is certainly worth seeing – it’s entertaining, well acted and beautiful to look at. It’s just not quite up there with the gold standard of horror. Still, it’s certainly one of the better horror movies of 2011.

16 comments:

  1. This is a topic that is close to my heart... Many thanks!
    Exactly where are your contact details though?


    Have a look at my webpage: biotechnologyreview.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'll be able to choose out your funny image as per your want and interest. The first lesson is that life can be humorous and fun again when you make time to play. It is also time to start thinking about how you want your My - Space page to look for the holiday.

    My homepage ... Http://Club.Tehrancenter.Com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on my own experiences I am going to make five recommendations that I
    wish someone had made to me to help take the fear out of fitness.

    Even if your small business doesn't have some sort of refrigerator (a rarity today) you can choose vegetable and fruit that do not even require refrigeration. Remember; there is a difference between a fattening diet and a healthy diet.

    My blog: women fitness tips abs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I wish for to subscribe for this website
    to get hottest updates, so where can i do it please help out.


    Here is my web page :: Fitness Tips

    ReplyDelete
  5. One can find lot of such funny sports moments very easily.
    I can also would suggest taking a few minutes to successfully snicker
    not to mention grin available at funny pictures ( imagenes de humor ) and then funny videos ( videos divertidos ) to assist you
    in the quest with cheer in addition to stress reliever. The moment you think of funny video the first
    name that probably comes to your mind is You - Tube.


    Feel free to surf to my blog post; myspace funny pictures and sayings

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning quest there. What happened after? Take care!


    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... thamorgroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there all, here every one is sharing such know-how,
    so itís nice to read this blog, and I used to visit this webpage everyday.


    Feel free to visit my homepage please click the next website

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moderate to strong winds blowing from the southwest to south will prevail over northern and Central
    Luzon and coastal waters along these areas will be moderate to rough.

    Office goers and people who are travelling often do not get time to read news from the newspaper or watch it to get good information they
    could subscribe for sports SMS alerts. If a person is connected with the
    latest headlines, it will develop an awareness in him with regards to the world which surrounds him.


    Here is my website; Latest Daily News

    ReplyDelete
  9. This website truly has all of the information I needed about this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    Stop by my web-site: Biotechnology and Bioengineering

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exercise can help to avoid menopause weight gain and reduce other risks including osteoporosis, heart disease, and arthritis.
    It will help the prospective health and fitness aspirant keep pace with the ever evolving world of fitness.

    Get your heart rate up with a quick burst of fast movement.


    Feel free to surf to my web page; fitness tips at work

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you are going away to watch comical videos online then I suggest you to pay a visit this web page,
    it contains truly thus comic not only video clips but also
    other material.

    My site http://www.pereche.ro/BerndWill

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marvelous, what a blog it is! This web site presents useful facts to us, keep it up.


    Review my weblog fitness tips of the day

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, before you play, make sure you stretch the muscles used in swinging your
    golf club. Naturally, if you are not a morning person, setting your
    alarm for 5am to go run a few miles will probably fail.
    Most of us love it; going to Mac - Donald or Burger King from time to time.


    My page - fitness tips and motivation

    ReplyDelete
  14. People sometimes tend to think, “if only I were
    a celebrity, everything would be better”. It’s interesting how stars
    get annoyed when the paparazzi takes pictures of them.

    Celebritynewsapp has developed a celebrity app which is getting popular day by day.


    My weblog ... latest celeb news

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I do think this is an excellent web site. I stumbledupon it ;) I will return yet again since i have saved as a favorite it.
    Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and
    continue to help other people.

    my webpage - Biotechnology and Bioengineering

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post came in a well-timed passion! I can't believe it. I was looking online for Email Templates. You did a great job and yes i entirely agree that a template could make or break your company. Good Job!

    Also visit my blog - Email Marketing Templates

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.